Making the decisions
Life is passing us by, seemingly ever quicker, and this month my question is, ‘What kind of decisions are you making?’ Sometimes making the ‘right’ decision can easily lead us to paralysis. How can we decide what is the‘best’ job offer, who will be our future life partner, or simply what is the best thing on the menu?
Sometimes that’s the problem, the more we think about things, the less we rely on our intuition, emotion or gut instinct. It turns out that there really are no purely rational decisions.
But our emotions can also lead us astray. Since every choice represents a battle between your rational conscious and emotional subconscious mind, the key to good decision-making is learning how to pick which side should win.
It turns out though that, for most people, there is no such thing as a purely rational self.
So the best thing is to pay attention to the feeling and emotion that accompany the decision that we’re facing. It’s also important to asses how committed we are to follow things through, and most importantly – once we make the decision – to go into things 100 per cent, no regrets.
At the end of 2014, I made some great decisions. On 1 January, Daska Davis joined The Best You as our new deputy editor, and Allan Banford became our media director. I am delighted and proud of the great content that our team has created in this issue, and look forward to delivering even more across our channels in 2015.
This issue, we have fantastic interviews with Will.I.Am, Katie Piper and Tara Stiles, plus advice from Enterprise Nation’s Emma Jones and US life coach Gail Blanke. We also meet an inspiring individual, Rob Young, who is running at least one marathon every day for a year – his journey has been amazing, so read his story on page 26.
Our goal is to help you become the best you in all areas of life, so enjoy the issue and please tell us what you think.
- The Best You: A Better World - September 25, 2017
- The Best You: A Better World - July 12, 2017
- The Journey - June 1, 2017
- Editor’s Letter - April 27, 2017
- So Much Change by Bernardo Moya - November 18, 2016
- The Right Reasons by Bernardo Moya - September 24, 2016
- Two sides to a story by Bernardo Moya - July 20, 2016
- The revolution begins here – The Oola Guys by Bernardo Moya - July 18, 2016
- Son of an Immigrant by Bernardo Moya - June 23, 2016
- Where Will You Go? by Bernardo Moya - June 6, 2016