Usain Bolt is the fastest man on earth – an absolutely amazing achievement.
While Bolt’s natural ability was key to his success on the track, it’s important to note the mentorship and interest of others that got him where he is today.
Born in 1986 in Sherwood, a small dusty town in Jamaica, there were few hints in Bolt’s childhood that he would one day be a world champion.
Like other boys, he had a passion for sports. It was his cricket teacher who spotted Bolt’s speed on the pitch and urged him to enter track and field competitions.
Once his skill was recognised, his coaches Pablo McNeil, a former Olympic sprint athlete, and Dwayne Barrett, encouraged him to focus his energy on improving his athletic abilities. But McNeil was often frustrated by Bolt’s lack of dedication – especially his partying and preference for fast food.
In these early years, in the absence of a disciplined lifestyle, Bolt became ever more reliant on his natural abilities as a runner. Then, in 2007, his new coach, Glen Mills helped Bolt get beyond his unprofessional attitude and take himself seriously.
This change marked the rise to prominence of Usain Bolt to become what he is today: the fastest man on two legs.
Though we marvel at the speed and power of Usain Bolt, it’s worth remembering those who advised, helped, mentored and cajoled along the way.
So here’s a thought for you this week: Listening and learning from others is a brilliant skill. Who can you turn to, to help you on your way to become the best you can be? And who can you mentor on their way to become the best? Excellence thrives when nurtured!
CEO The Best You
PS. Please share If this has inspired you or could inspire others.
- The New Three R’s – the building blocks of success - October 31, 2020
- 5 Networking Hacks to Become a Better Networker - October 12, 2020
- How to be brilliant at failing in life/love/work and why it’s important - September 20, 2020
- What your goals reveal about your personality - September 17, 2020
- Rise To The Top Tips - April 12, 2020
- 20 Ways to Become More Emotionally Intelligent In 2020. - January 9, 2020
- Bernardo Founder of The Best You interviewed in Reinvention Radio - November 14, 2019
- The Question - November 13, 2019
- THE BEST YOU A Better World - November 12, 2019
- 6 Burnout warning signs and solutions - May 9, 2019