This month is National Literacy Awareness Month. Illiteracy isn’t something that only affects people in the developing world. The National Literacy Trust is a national charity dedicated to raising literacy levels in the UK.
One person in six in the UK lives with poor literacy. This holds them back at every stage of their life. As a child they won’t be able to succeed at school, as a young adult they will be locked out of the job market, and on becoming a parent they won’t be able to support their child’s learning.
Lacking these vital skills undermines their wellbeing and stops them making a full contribution to the economic and cultural life of our nation.
We work to improve the reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in the UK’s most disadvantaged communities, where up to 40 per cent of people have literacy problems. Our research and analysis make us the leading authority on literacy and drive our interventions. Because low literacy is intergenerational, we focus our work on families, young people and children.
- We establish literacy projects in the poorest communities
- We campaign to make literacy a priority for politicians and parents
- We support schools
Community literacy projects
Our community literacy projects run in the most deprived communities, inspiring and supporting children and families to improve their skills.
We campaign to improve public understanding of the vital importance of literacy and to ensure the Government takes action. Our Words for Life campaign encourages parents from disadvantaged communities to support literacy in the home. www.wordsforlife.org.uk provides ideas, competitions and free activities for parents and families.
Support for schools and other practitioners
We share our analysis, promote best practice and provide support and resources for schools, early years settings and local areas. Find out more about our membership network.
For more information, please email email@example.com, or write to National Literacy Trust, 68 South Lambeth Road, London, SW8 1RL
- April 2021 - April 9, 2021
- Apps that do good - November 13, 2019
- Smashing the glass ceiling - November 13, 2019
- Are you on the brink of burnout? - November 13, 2019
- Is It Time For A Fitness Overhaul? - November 13, 2019
- The Best You Legacy Club - November 13, 2019
- Meet the people getting Britain moving - November 13, 2019
- BECOMING THE BEST ME - November 12, 2019
- Book Club - November 12, 2019
- The Power of Perseverance - November 12, 2019