If you’re anything like me, there are times in your life when you find it’s important to persuade other people.
It might be something obvious, like discussing a business deal, or it might even be simply deciding where to go on holiday with the family.
That second example highlights a really important point about persuasion.
The best sort of persuasion is about getting people to do things together.
It’s about being flexible, taking on board other people’s points of view and accommodating them so you agree.
In the case of the holiday, maybe it’s also about being able to change your mind – so it’s a two way process, which leads to the best result for everyone.
The “dark” side of persuasion is coercion – which is all about making other people do things they don’t want to do. It causes resentment and grows distrust – meaning you might achieve your short-term goal but longer-term relationships are damaged.
So take a moment to consider – if you’re in sales, the last thing you want is buyer’s remorse. If you’re in a relationship, you certainly don’t want spouse’s remorse!
Instead of thinking about the outcome in terms of events or contracts, think about it in terms of what each party will get out of it – in the long term too. It’s much more fun that way!
I’ll leave you with two quotes:
“Not brute force but only persuasion and faith are the kings of this world.” Thomas Carlyle
“He who wants to persuade should put his trust not in the right argument, but in the right word. The power of sound has always been greater than the power of sense.” Joseph Conrad
That’s all for now.
Have a great week,
The Best You
- Rise To The Top Tips - April 12, 2020
- 20 Ways to Become More Emotionally Intelligent In 2020. - January 9, 2020
- Bernardo Founder of The Best You interviewed in Reinvention Radio - November 14, 2019
- The Question - November 13, 2019
- THE BEST YOU A Better World - November 12, 2019
- 6 Burnout warning signs and solutions - May 9, 2019
- 10 Game-Changing Business Lessons From Motivational Books - May 9, 2019
- How resilience is one of the most important skills you can master for a happier life (and it is SO easily learned) - April 5, 2019
- THE BEST YOU A Better World - October 15, 2018
- Welcome to The Best You magazine - March 21, 2018