If you do a bit of research, you’ll find the education system was designed to create obedient soldiers to do the bidding of their commanders. That was the specific reason for the creation of kindergarten in the 19Th century.
It’s the 21St century, and we’re living with the consequences of that legacy. Schooling designed to create a passive workforce, in a world where more than ever the ability to understand and deal with risk is a key skill.
The idea of a job for life is a thing of the past: the future is about navigating uncertainty. So, how about we look at what we’re doing with schools and start again?
What would it be like if children were given a hands-on look at a range of career options?
If they were introduced to people working successfully in different fields?
If they had NLP training from an early age? If they knew CBT?
I’m talking about children being allowed to develop their own learning skills, determine their own ambitions, discover how to deal with knock backs and embrace opportunities. Imagine a school that gives children experience of what their future will look, sound and feel like, to make it easier to recognise the markers along the way.
Teachers will still have a key role to play in a system like the one I’m talking about. Working with children to develop their vision, give them feedback, equip them with the resources they’ll need to find their place in the world.
Look at school not as a production line for workers to do someone else’s bidding, but as a launchpad for the next generation, who’ll be taking us into a world where courage, flexibility, and innovation are the key requirements.
We have the capability to reinvent schooling so that the best elements of the current system are maintained. And we can enhance what happens in the classroom with the knowledge we now have about the ways people learn, and what can be done to encourage the acquisition of knowledge, skills, and attitudes.
We can do it. We need to do it. And the time to start is now.
- The New Three R’s – the building blocks of success - October 31, 2020
- 5 Networking Hacks to Become a Better Networker - October 12, 2020
- How to be brilliant at failing in life/love/work and why it’s important - September 20, 2020
- What your goals reveal about your personality - September 17, 2020
- Rise To The Top Tips - April 12, 2020
- 20 Ways to Become More Emotionally Intelligent In 2020. - January 9, 2020
- Bernardo Founder of The Best You interviewed in Reinvention Radio - November 14, 2019
- The Question - November 13, 2019
- THE BEST YOU A Better World - November 12, 2019
- 6 Burnout warning signs and solutions - May 9, 2019