This week, I want to talk about what goal-setting can do for you.
Goal-setting is a useful antidote to negativity and helps you stay on target – so I’m going to suggest you really think about your goals.
There are several steps I take when goal setting. Maybe these steps will be useful to you too:
- Divide your year into 12 chunks and put a large number of clearly-defined goals in the first two to three months.
- For the nearby goals, fill in a lot of details. See them clearly. Write them down. Plan them. Mindmap them. Make sure they are specific and achievable.
- For the following months, put in the main goals you want to achieve later in the year. You can start to fill in the detail and add extras to those later goals as the time draws nearer, so you are on a “rolling goal-creating timeline”.
- Use those further off goals to guide your “seed-planting” – that is – start to plant the ideas of what you want to do in the minds of those you want to work with, without necessarily giving them details, yet. You’re preparing people to work with you later and getting their imaginations to engage beforehand.
- Now fire yourself up. As you see yourself achieving each goal, set up a reward. It might be a pat on the back, it might be a meal, it might be a trip. Be prepared to feel the satisfaction of completion – whatever works for you.
- Don’t just think this is a business-related activity. Goals can include how much love you bring to your family, how much time you spend with friends. Wherever something is important, then goals can help you get more!
Someone I’ve been really impressed by is Brian Mayne, a superb goal setter who has some real insights into achieving your goals. You can find out more about him, here.
And at The Best You , this free e-book will be useful, too:
- Peter Thomson’s free report – If You Set Goals Set R. E. A. L. Goals
- Brian Mayne’s book – Goal Mapping: How to turn your dreams into reality
For further info on goals and motivation, why not book any of these two courses:
- Anthony Robbins – Unleash The Power Within seminar in London
- John De Martini (co-author of The Secret) – The Prophecy I Experience
Well, that’s it for this week.