Are you too self-centered? Are you a ‘me-me’?
We go through our day-to-day lives doing what we do, thinking what we think is right, or we focus on our thoughts and deeds. In neuro-linguistic programming it’s defined by the phrase, ‘the map is not the territory’ – in other words the way that we see the world isn’t reality itself. We don’t respond to reality. We respond to our internalised map of reality. How we represent things are our interpretations and these may or may not be accurate. There’s a balance between taking care of oneself and taking care of others, and it’s a problem when one is overly self-centered. It’s also unhealthy when someone chronically puts the needs of others in front of their own. Individuals who have this self-absorption – sometimes termed narcissistic personality – very rarely think they have a problem, and their primary focus tends to be a struggle to preserve their veneer.
While the self-absorbed person can have moments of generosity and charm, for the most part they are unaware of your needs or are uninterested in meeting them, even if they are conscious of them. Someone who is self-centered is not necessarily a narcissist, though narcissists are self-centered. So the question this month is this. Are you self-centered? Do you spend a lot of time talking about yourself? Are you permanently thinking that people aren’t fair with you? Are you a team player? Are you thinking ‘I’ or ‘me’, instead of ‘us’? Think about it, ‘audit’ yourself, listen to your internal dialogue and make sure don’t put your needs ahead of everyone else’s.
This month we have plenty of thought-provoking features to challenge all aspects of your life. From an in-depth interview with John Demartini, whose life story is truly incredible, to one woman’s journey from Olympic hopeful to near-death and a return with a radical approach to fitness. We talk with leading author Robert Kelsey about why – despite publishing success – he considers himself an outsider, and how he believes those who do not ‘fit in’ can achieve. Enjoy the issue!
- 6 Burnout warning signs and solutions - May 9, 2019
- 10 Game-Changing Business Lessons From Motivational Books - May 9, 2019
- How resilience is one of the most important skills you can master for a happier life (and it is SO easily learned) - April 5, 2019
- THE BEST YOU A Better World - October 15, 2018
- Welcome to The Best You magazine - March 21, 2018
- The Best You A Better World - November 30, 2017
- Improving mental health in the workplace - November 30, 2017
- The Best You: A Better World - September 25, 2017
- The Best You: A Better World - July 12, 2017
- The Journey - June 1, 2017