If ever you’ve wanted to exercise but thought it was too late to start, the story of Ernestine Shepherd is an inspiration.
At 75 years old, Ernestine is the world’s oldest competitive female bodybuilder. She has the physique and attitude that would put people half her age to shame. So what’s her secret?
“If ever there were an anti-ageing pill, I would call it exercise,” she says. “The truth is, age is nothing but a number.”
Ernestine began bodybuilding when she was 71. Before then, she says she was never athletic because she was “too prissy”.
Things changed after two life-changing events. Firstly, in her 50s she and her sister were invited to a picnic and to wear swimsuits. Seeing how they looked, both sisters agreed they needed to exercise. But before they could, her sister died of a brain aneurysm.
Later, Ernestine recalls, her sister visited her in a dream and told her off for “not doing what we agreed”.
It was then that she started on her track to becoming a bodybuilding legend.
At the age of 75, she starts her day at 2.30 with a group run for 10 miles.
It’s an amazing story from an unstoppable lady.
As for her big secret – the rest of her day is spent following her great idea to inspire others by “teaching health, happiness and prosperity”. As she puts it: “That’s the formula”.
Remember, it’s never too late to start doing what you want to do!
CEO The Best You
PS. Please share If this has inspired you or could inspire others.
- The Journey - June 1, 2017
- Editor’s Letter - April 27, 2017
- So Much Change by Bernardo Moya - November 18, 2016
- The Right Reasons by Bernardo Moya - September 24, 2016
- Two sides to a story by Bernardo Moya - July 20, 2016
- The revolution begins here – The Oola Guys by Bernardo Moya - July 18, 2016
- Son of an Immigrant by Bernardo Moya - June 23, 2016
- Where Will You Go? by Bernardo Moya - June 6, 2016
- June 2016 - June 6, 2016
- Nathan Douglas: Jump to it! by Bernardo Moya - June 6, 2016