The SMA Trust’s objective is to be active and progressive in the search for a cure for Spinal Muscular Atrophy. The SMA Trust is involved with numerous research projects in the UK, on the Continent and the USA.
Spinal Muscular Atrophy is a muscle wasting disease that affects thousands of people in the UK, of all ages, races and backgrounds. SMA affects motor neurons in the spinal cord. This results in weakness, leading to severe disability and the possibility of premature death. More babies die from Type 1 SMA than any other genetic condition in the UK today.
The SMA Trust was founded in 2003 and are working to fund medical research into Spinal Muscular Atrophy. Their core research work has grown, as has the success of our international work. Most importantly, they are very proud of the leadership they have taken to lay the groundwork for clinical trials, both in the UK and internationally.
The genetic origins of SMA remained a mystery until 1995 when the missing gene in those afflicted with SMA was first identified. That gene is essential for the survival of motor neurons which are vital for the functioning of muscles. Since then research into SMA has attracted a growing body of top scientists.
“SMA is a curable disease. It is a question of how to deliver the right therapy to the right place at the right time. Researchers are on the threshold of clinical trials of Molecular therapy. While it will not be without some problems, in 10 years’ time I feel confident that patients with SMA will be treated with therapies that have a real chance of preventing muscle weakness if given early, or at least slowing deterioration.”
– Kevin Talbot, Professor of Motor Neuron Biology, University of Oxford
They need your help at this exciting time as they rely entirely on private contributions to fund the vital research into finding a cure for SMA. Any donation, however big or small, will make a difference. Look at their website to see what you can do to help. Or text SMAT01 to 70070 to donate £5.
- The Best You Legacy Club – New Business In A Box Opportunity Will Boost Entrepreneurs. - September 6, 2018
- The Best You Online – Personal Development Video Site Features Top Names To Improve Your Life. - August 31, 2018
- March – April 2018 - March 21, 2018
- WOW! WHAT A WEEKEND! - March 21, 2018
- March for Giants - March 21, 2018
- Good News - March 21, 2018
- Being Bulletproof - March 21, 2018
- Compassion and Capitalism - March 21, 2018
- The American Way - March 21, 2018
- Book Club - March 21, 2018