War and Peace Around the World
Today, the 8th of May, is the anniversary of two really important events that reverberate around the world to this day.
The first is the birth of Jean Henri Dunant in Geneva in 1828. A key event in his life was to change not only his ideas, but the whole world right up to the modern day.
In 1859, Dunant witnessed the aftermath of the Battle of Solferino in Italy. On the battlefield were the dead and dying of both sides, unattended and in terrible suffering. He wrote a book about his experiences and, several years later, directly inspired by his call for the rights of humanity to be respected even in times of war, The International Committee of The Red Cross was formed.
Today is also Victory in Europe Day, in which World War 2 came to an end in Europe. Throughout that war, the Red Cross had brought aid and succour to prisoners of war on both sides – ensuring families knew that their loved ones were still alive and that prisoners were treated according the to Geneva Convention.
No surprise that Dunant received the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts.
The fact is that one person can change the world for good.
Maybe, one day, that person could be you, or maybe someone you know will need your support. Remember – with the right will – anything is possible!
CEO The Best You
- So Much Change by Bernardo Moya - November 18, 2016
- The Right Reasons by Bernardo Moya - September 24, 2016
- Two sides to a story by Bernardo Moya - July 20, 2016
- The revolution begins here – The Oola Guys by Bernardo Moya - July 18, 2016
- Son of an Immigrant by Bernardo Moya - June 23, 2016
- Where Will You Go? by Bernardo Moya - June 6, 2016
- June 2016 - June 6, 2016
- Nathan Douglas: Jump to it! by Bernardo Moya - June 6, 2016
- What’s next at The Best You - June 6, 2016
- Sharing Stories by Bernardo Moya - May 6, 2016