If you’re anything like me, there are times in your life when you find it’s important to persuade other people.
It might be something obvious, like discussing a business deal, or it might even be simply deciding where to go on holiday with the family.
That second example highlights a really important point about persuasion.
The best sort of persuasion is about getting people to do things together.
It’s about being flexible, taking on board other people’s points of view and accommodating them so you agree.
In the case of the holiday, maybe it’s also about being able to change your mind – so it’s a two way process, which leads to the best result for everyone.
The “dark” side of persuasion is coercion – which is all about making other people do things they don’t want to do. It causes resentment and grows distrust – meaning you might achieve your short-term goal but longer-term relationships are damaged.
So take a moment to consider – if you’re in sales, the last thing you want is buyer’s remorse. If you’re in a relationship, you certainly don’t want spouse’s remorse!
Instead of thinking about the outcome in terms of events or contracts, think about it in terms of what each party will get out of it – in the long term too. It’s much more fun that way!
I’ll leave you with two quotes:
“Not brute force but only persuasion and faith are the kings of this world.” Thomas Carlyle
“He who wants to persuade should put his trust not in the right argument, but in the right word. The power of sound has always been greater than the power of sense.” Joseph Conrad
That’s all for now.
Have a great week,
The Best You
- So Much Change by Bernardo Moya - November 18, 2016
- The Right Reasons by Bernardo Moya - September 24, 2016
- Two sides to a story by Bernardo Moya - July 20, 2016
- The revolution begins here – The Oola Guys by Bernardo Moya - July 18, 2016
- Son of an Immigrant by Bernardo Moya - June 23, 2016
- Where Will You Go? by Bernardo Moya - June 6, 2016
- June 2016 - June 6, 2016
- Nathan Douglas: Jump to it! by Bernardo Moya - June 6, 2016
- What’s next at The Best You - June 6, 2016
- Sharing Stories by Bernardo Moya - May 6, 2016