Do you believe in luck?
Answer “yes” and you probably will be lucky – that’s the message coming out of studies about lucky people’s mindsets.
Believing you’re lucky makes you feel more confident, in control and hopeful – feelings that change the way you interact with the world. Lucky people tend to be curious and optimistic, finding opportunities where pessimists do not. Which means that deliberately learning to be more curious and optimistic might very well change your luck in a major way.
And it doesn’t stop there. Evidence suggests that belief in good luck plays an important part when successful individuals plan their goals. Of course, forward planning and motivation are also key factors – but the secret ingredient is a sprinkling of luck.
People who believe themselves to be lucky have a particular way of thinking about the world and a particular attitude to life that makes “luck” happen.
Sunil Mittal, Chairman of Bharti Enterprises and one of the richest men in the world with a fortune estimated by Forbes magazine at £7.7 billion says:
“Though we worked very hard all these years, hard work alone couldn’t get me here … Here’s my big confession: life’s big secret is how you position yourself to get lucky.You have to work at being lucky. Sitting at home, luck wasn’t going to knock my door… You just have to be out there, meeting people and being on top of things. Then you can say, I was just plain lucky.”
Factors that influence luck:
- the more you socially network, the luckier you’ll be
- refocusing your mind on the positives in your life reinforces your sense of confidence
- building a sense of curiosity in yourself every day make you open your mind to new possibilities
- expecting yourself to have good fortune means you’ll react to the world differently, and try new things that can take you to wonderful new places.
So, for this week, I’d like to say one thing to you:
Get out there … and be lucky!
CEO, The Best You
- Welcome to The Best You magazine - March 21, 2018
- The Best You A Better World - November 30, 2017
- Improving mental health in the workplace - November 30, 2017
- The Best You: A Better World - September 25, 2017
- The Best You: A Better World - July 12, 2017
- The Journey - June 1, 2017
- Editor’s Letter - April 27, 2017
- So Much Change by Bernardo Moya - November 18, 2016
- The Right Reasons by Bernardo Moya - September 24, 2016
- Two sides to a story by Bernardo Moya - July 20, 2016