Bringing you positive stories from around the globe
Rotterdam-based Studio Roosegaarde has created the world’s largest smog vacuum cleaner that creates bubbles of clean air and turns them into jewellery. Dutch designer Daan Roosegaarde and his team of experts made The Smog Free Tower using patented ion technology to produce smog-free air in public space. The jewellery range created as a by-products includes Smog Free Rings, Smog Free Cubes and Smog Free Cufflinks, all made of compressed smog particles and available to buy via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stackable sports pitches make use of unused urban space
Architecture firm AL_A unveiled its Pitch/Pitch concept that uses modular carbon fibre structures to create multiple sports fields in tiny urban spaces. The clear sided structures provide views for passersby, and for spectators, covered walkways around the pitches provide up-close enjoyment of the action. The pitches can be configured quickly and easily for different sports, including football, basketball and hockey, and for an array of different sized teams, starting with three-a-side.
Glow in the dark cement could light up cities
A Mexican scientist has developed cement that glows in the dark for up to 12 hours, potentially revolutionising the way we light our cities. The energy-efficient material soaks up sunlight during the daytime and begins to emit light as the sun sets. And it’s not just lampposts that the luminous invention could render obsolete. The brains behind the invention, José Carlos Rubio Avalos, says:
“It could be used for exterior and interior applications”. So it could even be lighting up the inside of our homes one day to save on electric bills.
- September – October 2017 - September 25, 2017
- The Future is Neural - September 25, 2017
- The time is now - September 25, 2017
- What a Wonder-ful World - September 25, 2017
- Good News - September 25, 2017
- The Long Road to Redemption - September 25, 2017
- Book Club - September 25, 2017
- Freedom on two wheels - September 25, 2017
- Working together for A Better World - September 25, 2017
- Great Ormond Street Hospital - September 25, 2017