I found out I was going to be a dad on my 24th birthday. At the time this is the last thing in the world that I wanted. Despite being in a loving relationship, I did not want a kid because I felt too young, I didn’t want the financial burden and I wanted to do more travel.
At the time of writing this, my son Xavier is 8 weeks old. I can honestly say there has not been a bigger moment in my life than seeing my son for the first time. He is an absolute joy, and seeing his smiling face can wipe away the worries of the world in an instant.
Sometime during the pregnancy my thoughts about the impending baby underwent a paradigm shift. If I was to pinpoint a particular moment, it would be when a close friend said to me: “why can’t you have a baby and still be financially successful and travel the world?”
That question triggered something inside my head. “Why not?” I asked myself.
As I began to believe that these goals were still possible my attitude changed. I chose to be excited about becoming a dad and my negative thoughts disappeared. This excitement was only to grow as the months rolled on – what an incredible feeling when I felt the little fella kick for the first time and at the ultrasound when we saw a 3D image of him and found out our baby was going to be a boy.
When Xavier was finally born (he came 2 weeks late) it was the most nerve wracking, exciting and joyous moment of my life. Thinking about it, I have Xavier to thank for the creation of this blog. When I realised that I would have to care for, and be a model to, another human being I truly wanted to be the best person I possibly could.
This post first appeared on The Change Blog.
- How to Wake Up Early in the Morning – 5 Tips You Need to Know by TJ Chasteen - February 16, 2016
- You can lose it! by Ali Campbell - July 24, 2015
- Maintaining enthusiasm by Dragos Roua - February 25, 2014
- 10 Life Lessons Everyone Should Know by Sibyl Chavis - February 25, 2014
- Dear LOA: What’s The Point Of Being Here by Melody Fletcher - February 25, 2014
- Stuck in a rut? Start over! by Courtney Carver - February 18, 2014
- Life Balance – Living the Dream by Marquita Herald - February 15, 2014
- The Story Of The Wounded Child by Evelyn Lym - February 14, 2014
- 8 Things You Forgot to Be Grateful For by Marc and Angel - February 12, 2014
- The Startup World’s Big Miss by Jonathan Fields - February 12, 2014