I wonder in these moments of “change and new times” – are we losing the value of friendship?
I have asked a few people recently and I do wonder if we are spending enough time talking, caring, nurturing, appreciating and helping our friends. Do you value yours enough? Are you losing friends? I mean your real friends, not your Facebook friends.
Friends are easier to find when we are younger and more difficult to keep when we are older. I think it’s because we get so bogged down in work, family, money or other challenges – and we don’t seem to spend enough time focusing on our relationships or our friends.
It’s now more important than ever that we stick together, that we hold on to our friends and help each other out. This month’s interview with Penny Power shows the power of keeping and making new friends. When I say keep friends I am talking about good friends. We don’t need “emotional vampire” friends as Matt Wingett mentioned in our last issue.
Dale Carnegie said: You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you.
The bottom line is in order to have good friends YOU need to be a good friend. Some very basic tips are First, have a positive attitude. All people want to be friends with people who can make life bearable instead of the opposite.
Second, you must also be a person who likes to have fun. Friendship is mainly about having fun, relaxing and taking it easy.
Other good friendship tips are being loyal and reliable. Loyalty and being there when a friend needs you is the key!
Sharing your concerns, your life, your work with friends will help you release stress, help you think more clearly… in a few words take the weight off your shoulders.
So no excuses. Instead of saying “I haven’t got any money”, find money to enjoy your friends or meet at yours, his or hers. Instead of “I haven’t got time”, make time. Life’s too short and the last thing you need is regrets.
So at least weekly get on the phone, meet for a meal, go for a drink – be a friend!
All the best
The Best You
- 20 Ways to Become More Emotionally Intelligent In 2020. - January 9, 2020
- Bernardo Founder of The Best You interviewed in Reinvention Radio - November 14, 2019
- The Question - November 13, 2019
- THE BEST YOU A Better World - November 12, 2019
- 6 Burnout warning signs and solutions - May 9, 2019
- 10 Game-Changing Business Lessons From Motivational Books - May 9, 2019
- How resilience is one of the most important skills you can master for a happier life (and it is SO easily learned) - April 5, 2019
- THE BEST YOU A Better World - October 15, 2018
- Welcome to The Best You magazine - March 21, 2018
- The Best You A Better World - November 30, 2017