Fitness and nutrition expert Cain Leathem gives you a typical day to help you stay fit.
Okay, here’s a sample of one way to organise your day to get towards the best fitness you can!
Wake up to a…
30 mins POWERWALK each morn before breakfast…a little fat burn and some valuable time for yourself …
2 scoop of whey protein in water OR 2 x whole eggs and 2 x egg whites scrambled/boiled/poached
PLUS 50 gms of Porridge Oats in filtered water
Time for a snack… how about…
½ fresh fillet/ ½ tin of tuna/salmon with organic, mixed coloured vegetables or salad (100 gms+)
Enjoyment without going overboard… and quality is the key!
150 gms organic chicken/turkey breast/fish with 50 gms brown rice or 150g sweet potato with mixed vegetables/salad
A little break for the afternoon…
½ tin tuna/salmon in a vegetable or salad mix
It’s time to relax…
170 gms fresh tuna / salmon / other fish
OR 150 gms chicken / turkey breast / lean beef / lamb
WITH 50 gms brown rice/quinoa OR 150 gms potato/sweet potato
with 100+ gms mixed vegetables (get an array of colours on the plate)
Well, there it is. Here’s what you get from a day like above…
TOTAL DAILY CALORIES = Approx. 1500 kilocalories (excluding any snacks such as fruits (apples/pears/kiwi/plums/berries due to high fibre and lower sugar levels and berries in particular have a higher anti-oxidant level). This amount is to ensure your metabolism is working optimally and will not add body-fat, as it is high protein/low fat/low sugar and high in fibre and nutrients such as vitamins and minerals. Carbohydrates are complex and regular to ensure blood glucose levels are steady, with a post workout meal in the evening for replenishment and repair of tissues (glycogen is stored in muscle and liver tissue to fuel our daily activity and exercise, especially at higher intensities).
* All weights specified are pre-cooked weights and the means of preparation can be varied to create an assortment of meals with similar basic ingredients.
WATER Daily water intake should be at least 2-3 litres per day, more if exercising to replace loss through perspiration. Please consider the quality of your drinking water as the volume to be consumed should be plentiful and as such the cleaner it is the healthier you are.
Please note, this eating regime has been formulated as a guideline only and is not intended as a personal protocol for any particular individual. But it should get you thinking about what you want from your day… Enjoy a typically fit day!
- The Best You A Better World - November 30, 2017
- Improving mental health in the workplace - November 30, 2017
- The Best You: A Better World - September 25, 2017
- The Best You: A Better World - July 12, 2017
- The Journey - June 1, 2017
- Editor’s Letter - April 27, 2017
- So Much Change by Bernardo Moya - November 18, 2016
- The Right Reasons by Bernardo Moya - September 24, 2016
- Two sides to a story by Bernardo Moya - July 20, 2016
- The revolution begins here – The Oola Guys by Bernardo Moya - July 18, 2016